With Ohio recently lifting outdoor gathering restrictions, many counties and municipalities are hosting Memorial Day events this year.
Forecasters say Mother Nature will cooperate with partly sunny skies on Monday, with highs of around 67 degrees.
Last year events and parades were canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Here is a list of Memorial Day events to honor the sacrifices of American soldiers in Ashtabula County:
• Andover – 11 am Memorial Day ceremony in the public square.
• Ashtabula – 11 am Memorial Day Ceremony at Veterans Park, opposite the Old City Center Municipal Building.
• Austinburg – parade and ceremony at 11 am. The Lakeside High School Marching Band will perform in a parade. Keynote speaker for the ceremony: Ohio State Senator Sandra O’Brien.
• Conneaut – Parade at 10:30 am and wreath laying begins at American Legion, 272 Broad St.
• Township of Dorset – 9.45 am Parade through Marrian Road, led by the Jefferson Area High School Marching Band, ending at Dorset Cemetery with a memorial service. Keynote speaker: State Representative Sarah Fowler Arthur.
• Township of Harpersfield – 11 am at Harpersfield Cemetery, Route 307. Keynote speaker for the ceremony: Ashtabula County Commissioner Casey Kozlowski.
• Jefferson – parade and ceremony at 11 am, starting on West Jefferson Street and heading towards North Market Street. The parade will end at Oakdale Cemetery for a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. A ceremony will be held at the helicopter landing pad. Keynote speaker: Harold Specht, Judge of the East Ashtabula County Court.
• Kingsville – Ceremony at 8:00 am with 21 cannon salute, patriotic music and recitation of the Gettysburg speech at Lulu Falls Cemetery, 5890 Cemetery Road.
• Orwell – 7:15 am, the flags are brought to Chaffee Park by Boy Scouts # 72; 9:30 a.m. coffee and donuts at American Legion Post # 719; 10:30 a.m. Wreath laying at Orwell South Cemetery and parade on Route 45 with stops along the way to lay wreaths at veterans monuments.
• Pierpont – 8am celebration at the old Pierpont Elementary building, Pymatuning Valley High School Band and Cross Country Shoreliners will offer the national anthem and “God Bless America”. Veterans will provide taps and a gun salute.
• Township of Plymouth – 9:30 am celebration at Maple Grove Cemetery.
• Rock Creek – The 8 am Parade and Celebration begins at the Log Cabin with the Color Guard and the Jefferson Area High School Marching Band.
• Township of Saybrook – Ceremony at 9 am at the Township of Saybrook cemetery on Route 45 in front of the township office. Limited seating brings folding chairs.
• Township of Sheffield – Ceremony at 9 am at Gageville Cemetery, 3303 Gageville Plymouth Road.