It’s a big week for music fans in Cardiff as Ed Sheeran comes to town for three nights, along with emo-rockers My Chemical Romance performing on Saturday 28 May. But that means much of the city center will be restricted for much of the week.
Sheeran, playing his first Welsh gigs since 2018, brings his +-=÷x Tour’ (pronounced ‘The Mathematics Tour’) at the Principality Stadium May 26,27 and 28.
There will be travel disruptions if you have to drive or cross town. On Thursday May 26 and Friday May 27, there will be a complete closure of the downtown road from 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. On Saturday May 28, the road closure will be implemented a little earlier, from 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Read more: The 50 best tickets for this summer for music, theatre, comedy and more in Wales
From 7:00 a.m. access to Scott Road and Park Street will be managed to ensure vehicles are not parked in the area of the road closure.
The following roads will be closed as part of the full downtown road closure:
- Kingsway from its junction with North Road to its junction with Duke Street.
- Cowbridge Road East from its junction with Cathedral Road to its junction with Westgate Street.
- Tudor Street from its junction with Clare Road to its junction with Wood Street (Access for residents and traders will be permitted via Fitzhammon Embankment.)
- Rue Plantagenet and Rue Beauchamp from their junctions with Place Despenser to their junctions with Rue Tudor (access for residents and merchants will be authorized.)
- The following roads will be closed in their entirety: Duke Street, Castle St, High Street, St Mary Street, Caroline Street, Wood Street, Central Square, Westgate Street, Quay Street, Guildhall Place, Golate, Park Street, Havelock Street and Scott Route .
- Station Terrace and Guildford Street, from the junction with Newport Road to the junction with Churchill Way, will only be accessible to buses during periods of road closures. This is to ensure that there is reliable access for buses to Churchill Way satellite points.
Additional information to know
Civic Center: Access to part of the Civic Center will be controlled throughout the day, with access permitted only for event parking, limited parking for commuters, loading and access to private car parks . Affected roads include King Edward VII Avenue, Museum Avenue, City Hall Road, College Road and Gorsedd Gardens Road.
Penarth Road (at the back of Cardiff Central Station) from the St Mary Street junction to the Penarth Road entrance will close between 9pm and midnight to help TfW with fans queuing.