Abandoned building left to rot next to Megabucks Boulevard in Plymouth

Weeds, cracked stones and graffiti; this abandoned building in Millbay is nothing more than a horror.

The angle of Bath Place West and Bath Place West, a worn alley ignored by council boulevard plans, the building has been left to rot since its purchase by a property development company in 1993.

Interestingly, on a 1980 Millbay and Octagon map, the building is labeled “British Legion Headquarters”.

In the land register document it shows that in 1972 the property was passed on by the British Sailors’ Society and the Plymouth British Legion Club.

It is believed that in 1920 the Sailors ‘Society took over the Plymouth Sailors’ Home in the Octagon, which it used as an annex to its new inn.

The Sailors’ House building in Vauxhall Street was soon closed, but the company continued its work from the other building, off Union Street, in the 1950s.

However, in 1980 it was clear from the deeds that the property was owned by the British Legion before it was sold to Kingdomwide Property Investments Limited, a London-based real estate investment company.



The building is abandoned and overgrown



A 3D image of the building on Google Maps shows the extent of the vegetation
A 3D image of the building on Google Maps shows the extent of the vegetation

The land register document reveals that the deed itself contains restrictive covenants, essentially an agreement that could potentially impose restrictions on redevelopment or use of the land.

Now the building is falling apart, a magnet for street drinkers and anti-social behavior – and its future is uncertain.

By 2020, the council will have mandatory purchases of buildings along Bath Street to make way for the £ 20million boulevard plan.

Some buildings have already been demolished and contractors are currently on site to complete the refurbishment work.

But time is running out for other companies, like The Hub concert hall, to find a new location.

In the plans, the old British Legion building is left intact, along with the warehouses along the Forgotten Alley.

Buildings like The Clipper Inn, which turns into a mini-market and apartments, will also remain. Others, like Crash Manor and Jesters, won’t be so lucky.

Some owners have already taken the initiative to apply for an urban planning permit for buildings ignored by the boulevard.

An old workshop, next to the abandoned Legion building, may become a building in the future. The building, in Bath Place, is currently a motorcycle repair shop called E&E Motorcycles, but the developers want to convert the property into five one-bedroom apartments on three floors.

Chronology

Bath Place: History


  1. 1856



    The site is located on Bath Lane. The site appears to be a partially open space (west side) and partially under the footprint of another building. It is not clear from the mapping whether this building is commercial or residential. The surrounding area of ​​the site is a mix of residential, recreational and industrial development with the South Devon railway station and tracks some distance to the south and east, and the Milburry gas plant to some distance to the west.


  2. 1868 – 1895



    The site is now shown on Bath Place, as it is to this day. The site is now shown to contain two buildings, one covering the southern footprint of the current building and a smaller building attached to the neighboring (west) building. The surrounding area continues to be a mix of residential, recreational and industrial development. Rail lines remain present, although the station is now renamed Millbay Station, to the south of which are the Millbay Barracks and Millbay confectionery factories and Millbay Soap and Soda Works. A number of other works are annotated away from the site in the vicinity, including a road slate and marbles, a color and clothing factory, shipyards and carriage yards.


  3. 1914

    The site and the surrounding area remain largely unchanged from the previous mapping period.


  4. 1951 – 1952



    The site is presented as a warehouse, the building now being present in the footprint of the current building. The plot immediately east of the site turns out to be a builder’s yard. In the surroundings, the Millbay station and the railways remain present. An electrical substation is pictured southwest of the site adjacent to Bath Place West, with the Octagon Brewery further southwest of the site. A bottling plant is now located some distance to the west of the site. The surrounding area of ​​the site is largely unchanged from the last mapping period.


  5. 1964 – 1966

    The site continues to be presented as a warehouse, as does the plot to the east. The surrounding area of ​​the site is largely unchanged from the last mapping period.


  6. 1971 – 1982



    The site and the neighboring plot continue to be warehouses. In the surroundings, many structures and factories are no longer visible, warehouses, offices and depots are more common among residential dwellings. There is also an increase in leisure facilities, with a cinema, clubs, hotels and public houses in the immediate vicinity.


  7. 1991 – 1994



    The site and surrounding area remain largely unchanged, with the exception of the replacement of Millbay station with the Plymouth pavilions and the loss of the rail lines feeding the station.

What is Boulevard Millbay and where will it be?



What could Millbay Boulevard look like facing east
What could Millbay Boulevard look like facing east

You might not be able to imagine it now, but in the future this stretch of road will become a chic destination for the city.

In 2016, buildings were bulldozed along Bath Street to make way for Millbay Boulevard, and now the site has been fenced in, ready for development to begin.

Hoarding covers the barren land and construction vehicles have recently moved to the site.

Although part of the land is used as a temporary parking lot, the entire street will soon be transformed into apartments, offices, restaurants and shops.

Entire buildings have already vanished under the wrecking ball at Colin Campbell Court as the dark row at the bottom of downtown Plymouth is down in preparation for the boulevard.

The demolition work is the first step in the £ 40million transformation of part of the West End, which will link the city to Millbay.

The first phase of the project, comprising around 150 apartments, townhouses or do-it-yourself units, could be completed by 2020.

Millbay Boulevard: Where exactly will he go?







The boulevard plan was first unveiled by Barcelona architect David Mackay in his Vision 2003 for Plymouth.

Mr. Mackay called on the city to reconnect with its relationship with the sea and reconnect with its waterfront.

Workers and machinery moved to the location in October 2016 and began demolishing the old Kier Construction offices, between Bath Street and Martin Street.

It will stretch across Bath Street across from the Plymouth Pavilions, which may in part become a new hotel in the future.

About Raymond Lang

Check Also

My son will not use the toilet and will only poop if he is wearing a diaper

Question: My son is two years and eight months old and we are slowly making …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *